James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

What?!

So THIS is the official announcement. The Boarman Family is going to adopt a child internationally.
The next question everyone is asking is how did this come about. Here's the short (okay, nothing I talk about is ever short, right!).  I think God began preparing our hearts years ago as Glenn and I casually would bring it up without ever imagining it a reality. As most of you know, my Aunt is an amazing unselfish women who adopted 4 children (2 from India and 2 from Korea). When having conversations in the past with them, Glenn and I have always been amazed at how drastically different their life stories are because they live in America.  Todd and Taylor were "older" children adopted from India and have not-so-fond stories to tell about the orphanges.
I don't know always know all the details of Glenn's journey, but I think mine started to take a serious turn after watching "Slum Dog Millionaire" a couple months ago. Not that I haven't had a heart for the parentless children in the past, but it was especially touching me. From there I have had constant encounters with the idea of adoption. Examples: opening up an email at work and seeing that my benefits now will allow me to use my extended illness bank for 6 weeks post adoption, talking with a co-worker about her Grandchild that might be put up for adoption, only to come home and see a Primetime story on adoption--there are many more and I can't begin to compose a list.  I truly believe God was starting to prepare my heart to break. And it officially did on December 7, 2009 (Glenn's birthday) ,while watching "The Blindside".  I broke down afterwards in the car. I told Glenn how I felt so blessed and so able to help.  I know we can't change the world, but we can change another child's world.  He didn't say much and I prayed hard. I told God that if this was really a path he wanted me to take, he'd better "slap me in the face with it".  Next day I went to work and Glenn took the kids to see the movie. Later that night God slapped me in the face. Glenn initiated the process by telling me the timing could be right and he was in. We talked to the kids and prayed about it as a family. My children have made me so proud. They don't care age, sex or even color.
We can't always explain exactly how things come about and how God works, but I can tell you that with research, prayer, and time, it has become 100% clear that we have a child waiting somewhere that is ours.
We began announcing to family over the Christmas holiday and I have now spent approximately ?? hours in the last week and a half researching. As every adoptive parents knows, it's a frustrating process. My summary: you can't make decisions without information, and you can't get information without makeing decisions.  Ugg!

No comments: