James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Questions about the International Decision

I have read on another post that when people ask why they chose a particular country, they always tell them that it's because that's where their child was. I guess that makes perfect sense to me. We have very much been lead in a direction that we aren't controlling. God knows where our child is and he is leading us there.
But here is the journey so far...of course not every incident and detail is included, but here are the biggies:
Initially I will tell you that Glenn and I both said we should adopt from America. We thought that we should not be looking overseas since there are kids here. Plus, we had always heard how expensive it is and cash flow is something we have not (otherwise my kids would have been on a ski trip they wanted to go on this winter break! choices, choices).  Anyway, I started out by researching websites like http://www.howtoadopt.org/ and http://hopefororphans.com/images/mmDocument/AdoptionGuide.pdf (both are awesome guides if you have ever thought about adoption).  I am so truly heartbroken over the statics; over 140 MILLION orphans worldwide. Broken down, America has approximately 130,000 of them. This seemed like such a small number for me even though all the numbers are not within my thinking.  Our goal from the beginning was to truly give a child a life they would never know otherwise (I know that every childs life will be changed once they have a family, but this was a nudge towards the poorer nations).  Even though the statistics are very grim for those living in America that exit the foster care system, we feel that at least they can receive food stamps, medical care, and there is a church on every other corner--totally not a reality in most countries.  Help is readily available for the taking. The kids exiting the orphanages in other countries will in all likelyhood have nothing. I still wasn't sure though. I then read about the government tax credit, how churches sometimes help, and even grants and loans that organizations offer to help make international adoptions a reality. For the first time I was really at ease that God would take care of our financial needs in this and it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Glenn had agreed with me in all of this and we were closer to the decision.  Soon after, I had a conversation with my cousin. Without prompting, he explained how he was eternally grateful for the "American opportunity". No doubt he wouldn't have his health, his wealth, and even his faith, if it weren't for the chance to live in America. It's so cliche, but he said that we really do often take that for granted and it's a very real reality for him.  For me, that nailed it. I felt God was talking to me through him, and since he was one of the reasons we started this adventure in the first place, it made perfect sense that it would finalized through him (not even sure he knows this).
 I know some of you could argue this path and I don't expect for all to agree and feel the same way. Again, it's how our heart is being lead and it's a good thing all others aren't lead this way or no kid in America would find a home!

No comments: