James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Flying home

Leaving The Pentagon (our hotel we had stayed at so many days and on the previous trip) was sorta bitter sweet. I was so ready to leave, but as we walked out the gate I thought of Amaya and how these were her last moments in Ghana. I'm sure she doesn't realize what huge moments these are, but I sure thought about them for her.
Her ticket was on "hold" until I could show her passport in order to get the adoption fare ($1763 versus ours at $2085!). When arrived at the counter they told me the itinerary had been canceled probably because we hadn't paid for it yet. After explaining I couldn't do that until we got to Ghana, she agreed to try and help me. I had a slightly panicked moment--I was ready to get this journey home started but I also felt like I was on the "Amazing Race" and that if everything took too long they would find a reason to keep her here. The lady told me I had to go ahead and check in through the lines as there wasn't much time (even tho we still had like 2 hours!) and she would work on it. I'm thinking, "I'm not leaving without her".  I left her my credit card and she eventually met me at another counter and said it was fixed. I'm laughing inside thinking, "I have no idea what you actually just charged my credit card, but I really don't even care at this point as I just want to have our baby on the flight with us". We eventually found our way to an area where they had the US women's world cup soccer final on. Interesting to see alot of the Ghanaians cheering for Japan. We were asked to go through the gate line just as the OT shoot out began....uggh, we would have to find out from someone else, who dared break the rules and enter last, what the US fate would be. Savannah showed Amaya the airplanes through the window and she seemed excited. She continued to smile as we strapped her in but she was obviously very tired and fell asleep within minutes. So nice to be small and able to curl up and sleep for the first 10 hour flight. Sometime soon I started to become sick...achy, chills/hot, slight fever, very uncomfortable, frequenting the bathroom kinda sick. Our plane left at 10:05pm and we arrived in Amsterdam at 6:40am their time. We had a 3 hour lay over and between nodding and a little coloring, I laughed with Amaya telling her how many "abruni" (white) people there were.  Next flight was to Atlanta and it was a 6 hour flight. Again she did great, sleeping a lot or watching some TV. Another lay over in Atlanta and then we had only one more 3 hour flight. Arriving in Atlanta was an amazing moment. It was here we passed through immigration and went to the little office where they reviewed the sealed packet we had been carrying. The guy was very nice and after reviewing everything said that as he stamped her passport she would officially become a US citizen. I got a picture of it and I can honestly tell you that it wasn't until this point I really felt like it was over. That she was ours and that no one could take her away. This day had become one of the worst days of my life (I can't tell you how miserable I was feeling like I had the flu and being confined to sitting in a chair upright all day), but it was also one of the best days of my life! My cousin said it sounded like childbirth. You go through so much pain but the outcome is so worth it. It was a perfect comparison.
One last flight and when we arrived in Co Springs we had a bunch of people waiting for us. My cousin Blair was the first to greet us and take some of the luggage. Around the corner was my friend Tasha from work, along with her entire family! They had made a huge sign and brought flowers. I only wish Amaya would have enjoyed it more. It was 3am our time and she was so obviously tired, wanting really to just go back to sleep on daddy's shoulder. Out to the car we met my mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, sister and niece, and cousin Collin and his family. They were so generous to be there with gifts and hugs. We went back to our house then for cake (welcoming Amaya but also for Savannah's b-day). Amaya eventually woke up a little and by the time everyone was leaving she waved and was saying goodbye. Thanks everyone for making that night so special (even tho I laid mostly on the couch enjoying it!)
So....we left Sunday night at 10:05pm and arrived in Co Springs Monday at 8:00pm (and it's a 6 hour time difference) for a total travel time of 28 hours.

1 comment:

Teletha said...

So, when are visitors allowed to meet Amaya?