James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Friday, April 29, 2011

I600 approved!

Wow! I would have never imagined we would be approved in less than 2 weeks. It generally takes 6-8 weeks and Emmanuella's birth certificate only got turned in yesterday. What does this mean? Well, it means the US recognizes our adoption! Whoo hoo! Without this forms approval, we could have a decree in Ghana but never be able to bring her across waters. We now wait for a Visa Exit Interview Appointment. Our coordinator will go on Wednesday to pick up the packet that will need completed for that interview and I can start emailing at that time to try and get it (the appt). However, as I learned today ( and as things are ever changing in the international adoption world), it is currently taking 5-8 weeks for the appointments!! Ugh. No one knows why, but the recent families that have tried to get one say 5-6 weeks out. My approval letter today said expect appointments 2 months out. We should know when that is, hopefully, next week. This appointment apparently is around 15 minutes long (why can't I just show up then!!!) and at conclusion they will tell us when the visa will be issued. Visas are only issued on Fridays so could be a day or so after appt or could be the next week. Occasionally they will say the visa will be issued in 2-3 weeks (for no known reason). At this time we are planning on having the coordinator attend the appt since it's an unknown time frame for the exact visa issuance.
During this waiting time they will continue to do the orphan investigation (form I-604) to definitively determine that she is an orphan. We hope their investigation will be concluded by the time our Visa appt comes up so there are no delays.
So....while I assumed that it would take 2-3 months to get her home from when we left, again we just never know. As recently as March, I-600 approvals were taking approx 2 months and then it was taking only 1-2 weeks for an exit appt. Now we are I-600 approved in 2 weeks but they are saying 6-8 weeks for appointment.  So although I was rejoicing this am thinking we had significantly cut the timeframe, I'm not so sure tonight. I can surely rejoice that it didn't take 2 months for approval and THEN 2 months for appt.

No comments: